Families from all walks of life are referred to have visitation and exchanges for various reasons. The Buckeye Ranch Common Ground Program offers families a comfortable and reassuring atmosphere in which safe, structured, fair and respectful visitation and safe exchanges can be provided. The Buckeye Ranch Common Ground Program provides the following services:
Supervised Visitation – On-site visitations with a trained monitor who is present with the child(ren) at all times.
Monitored Visitation – On-site monitored visitation with a trained monitor who assists, when needed, and periodically checks in on the visitation.
Safe Exchanges - On-site supervised exchange of child(ren) between custodial and non-custodial family members, parents/parties.
Supervised Visitation is:
Supervised Visitation is the provision and maintenance of a safe, fair and respectful setting in which the contact between a child(ren) and an adult (usually a parent) can be monitored by personnel able to ensure the safety of the child(ren). Sometimes, based on issues of protection and safety, a judge will decide that in order for a child(ren) to have contact with a parent, a neutral third person must be present during any visitation. This type of third-person visitation arrangement is often called "supervised visitation." The court will specify and order the length and duration of visits.
A judge may order supervised visitation for many reasons, such as:
- giving the visiting parent a chance to address specific issues;
- helping reintroduce a parent and a child(ren) after a long absence;
- helping introduce a parent and a child(ren) when there has been no existing relationship between the parent and the child(ren);
- when there is a history or allegations of domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, or substance abuse;
- when there are parenting concerns or mental illness; or
- when there is a parental threat of abduction or violence.
Safe Exchange is:
Exchanges are for parents who are not required to have supervision while visiting their child(ren), but need to be able to make the exchange without interacting with the other parent. During an exchange the child(ren) is escorted from one parent to the other by The Buckeye Ranch staff. Exchanges ensure the safety of parents along with children.
“Parenting Apart” is a six week series offered to assist parents in understanding and becoming successful in co-parenting.